Sunday, April 25, 2010

Kitchener-Waterloo Spring Active

I did not announce that I was going to Kitchener on Saturday April 24 because it was kind of an impromptu thing. The day started unexpectedly as the address of the City Hall that I got was wrong, forcing me to run a kilometer to arrive at the venue on time. There were not as many players there as I had expected there to be and as a result the tournament was condensed to just an Open Section. Of the 18 players there I was the youngest (quite a surprise after attending other events) but I was not intimidated by the crowd. I had no active rating heading into the event but I was assigned a 1750 rating by the organizer before even playing a game.

I finished the event on minus 1 but I won both games that I was expected to. My three losses were all very exciting and I could have extracted some points out of them. This was by far the best chess I have ever played; highlighted by my third round loss against FM Michael Dougherty in which I held the advantage right up until the end.

I believe the tournament was won by FM Hans Jung, but I did not stay to see the conclusion of his last round game. I will annotate at least two games from this event as I am very proud of my play. I will not be posting here in quite a long time after I finish my annotations here though because I cannot play in any events for quite a long time due to personal scheduling conflicts.

No comments:

Post a Comment