Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Hamilton Winter Open Results

Sorry these are way late; I basically did absolutely nothing on the March Break except for the Tournament. In Hamilton I managed a 3.0/5.0 score, but I only had a rating performance of 1733 (if I remember). Fortunately, my rating only declined 8 points to 1856, and my rating is now established. I lost to an unrated player named Stephan Tonakian on the twelfth move by hanging a bishop (it was horrifying) and I butchered a Slav Exchange on the black side against Yuanchen Zhang (1648) and lost quickly. Overall, my play lacked direction and it was not precise, and I do not wan t to annotate any games. However I did promise to annotate one, so soon (Friday at the latest) you will see my third victory against Doug Gillis. Not surprisingly, it was another Caro-Kann and a repeat of our last opening line in the Panov. I came out with a slight edge which I almost expertly converted only to allow the draw as I was on the cusp of victory. Fortunately, he missed the correct continuation and a few moves later I hauled in the point.

Adam Cormier demolished the field letting up only in the last round drawing with Yuanchen Zhang. I do not remember the rest of the results, but that is because I am not among the top three which I desired to be. I am still a bit dejected from the event, but this only motivates me to play my best chess in the future. Hamilton was a good tournament for me because I realized that even though your opponents may be rated lower than you, they can still be dangerous.

No comments:

Post a Comment